The eyelids are one of the first facial features to reflect the effects of aging. Eyelid surgery, or blepharoplasty, is a surgical procedure to improve the appearance of the eyelids. Whether you want to improve your appearance or are experiencing functional problems with your eyelids, eyelid surgery can rejuvenate the area surrounding your eyes.
Eyelid Surgery can be performed on either the upper and lower lids, or both. At the initial consultation your surgeon will tell you which of the procedures will give you the best and most natural result.
- Lower eyelid surgery is performed to remove excess skin, reduce wrinkles, and improve the shape of the lower eyelid. It can involve skin incisions directly below the lash line or an incision on the inside of the eyelid. This incision allows access to the eyelid fat without visible incisions making this technique perfect for patients who need fat removed or added.
- Upper eyelid excess skin and fat can create a heavy looking eyelid, aged appearance, puffiness, and sometimes block vision. Upper blepharoplasty is performed to remove excess skin and fat and can improve vision.
- Double eyelid surgery (sometimes termed Asian eyelid surgery) is performed to create an upper eyelid crease.
Specifically, eyelid surgery can treat:
- Loose or sagging skin that creates folds or disturbs the natural contour of the upper eyelid, sometimes impairing vision
- Excess fatty deposits that appear as puffiness in the eyelids
- Bags under the eyes
- Drooping lower eyelids that reveal white below the iris
- Excess skin and fine wrinkles of the lower eyelid
Following your physician’s instructions is key to the success of your surgery. After your procedure is completed, lubricating ointment and cold compresses may be applied, and in some cases your eyes may be loosely covered with gauze. Makeup can be applied to the eyes 24 hours following the removal of sutures.
The results of eyelid surgery will appear gradually as swelling and bruising subside to reveal a smooth, better-defined eyelid and surrounding region, and an alert and rejuvenated appearance.
Cosmetic procedures typically performed in conjunction with eyelid surgery include:
- Botox and Fillers
- Forehead Lift
- Eyelid Surgery
- Neck lift
- Fat grafting to restore facial volume
- Facial liposuction to neck and jawline
- Brow lift surgery to raise a heavy brow